Are you ready for your end-of-year break?
As we all look forward to a break at the end of the year, the Automobile Association (AA) has urged motorists to make provision now to get their vehicles serviced, checked and roadworthy.
The Association further advises motorists to make sure all the necessary documentation for their vehicles – including caravans and trailers – is also in order, especially if they are planning on crossing into any neighbouring countries.
“Don’t assume that you have enough time; you may find yourself at the end of a very long waiting list, and you therefore run the risk of not getting everything done in time,” the AA warns.
The Association advises motorists to ensure that:
- The vehicle is in a roadworthy condition;
- Tyres (including the spare tyre), brakes and shock-absorbers are in good, reliable condition;
- The windscreen doesn’t have any chips or cracks, and that windscreen wipers are working properly;
- The vehicle is mechanically sound;
- All the electronics on the vehicle are working properly;
- Any towed vehicles are also in a good condition and capable of making the journey (including the tyres);
- The vehicle has been serviced in time for the journey;
- Any documentation needed to take any vehicle across the border are in order and valid; and
- Their driver’s licences and vehicle licence discs don’t expire while they are away.
“Apart from the vehicle, drivers also need to ensure they have the right attitude on the road. A driver with bad habits, such as talking on a cellphone while driving, or who passes other vehicles recklessly, is risking not their own safety, but also that of their families and other road users,” the AA concludes.